Sunday 10 March 2013

PNP Club Champs 2013

One of the things I was looking forward to about racing in Wellington was the PNP MTB Club races. I had heard good things about the atmosphere, the trails, and a good level of competition.
I headed out with Scott MacLachlan, a family friend kind enough to have me stay while I look for something longer term.
The format for the day was that there were three events - a shortish XC race, a Super D and a 3 lap Criterium. All three counted towards the overall results, with the XC worth double points. I entered for all three on the day, joining the PNP Club at the same time.
After a short spin up the first section of gravel road, I lined up for the Open mens start with some local speedsters. The start was fast, heading up the relatively narrow gravel road, but gave plenty of time to get into a rhythm before we hit the first section of switchbacks. after a minute or so the Junior grades split off to head an easier way up the hill while we headed up a reasonably difficult downhill track. Eden Cruise was just in front of me until he dropped his chain while running up one of the steep sections. I went around him and continued, trying to anticipate the pinches and stay on my bike. I stayed in the lead until we popped out on the gravel road that headed up to the top, where Eden and a couple others passed me again. I wasn't too bothered as I didn't really expect to be doing this well anyway. I headed up the road and into the downhill, which was quite rough and technical, and I struggled to hold on as I got closer to the bottom, but the track was well made and dry so it was easy to get into a rhythm. On the second of my three laps I really struggled on the downhill, I felt tense and awkward, and I had at least three or four 'moments' where I went off the track and lost a lot of speed, so that didn't help. I got to the bottom and headed up for my last lap, which was pretty routine, I managed to get up the first trail smoothly and the downhill went a lot better.
I finished in a time of 1:10:03, 6th place and 6 minutes off the winner.

In the zone near the bottom of the track.
Cheers Wayne Jones-Nevrilk for the photo.


The next race was the Super D, which I was looking forward to, as it went down the same tracks that were used for the second half of my XC lap, so I had already practiced it 3 times. There was a decent sized queue for the start, so we all relaxed in line and had a good chat while we waited. My time came around and I headed off at full tilt. Unfortuately about 20 seconds into my run I hit a rock and pinch flatted, so that was my race over. I walked down and changed my tube ready for the criterium.

I had an average start, so I didn't really end up where I wanted to be, trying my best to make up time on the road, but the race was too short to make much of a difference. It was really good fun though, and I don't think I embarrassed myself too much. Considering I came dead last in the Super D there wasn't a whole lot of pressure as far as the overall results were concerned.

At the end of the day we sat around a bit more, I ended up 7th overall, as well as getting some lollies and a drink bottle at prizegiving. Also my AvantiPlus Waitakere teammate Sasha Smith took the win in the Elite Womens category which was awesome.
I also ended up with this sweet tan line:




No comments:

Post a Comment